Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Time and Place

There is a time and place for everything, and yes, that includes vodka highballs and the array of quickly fashioned easy to make drinks that taste OK but generally you'd really rather be drinking something else.  This often applies to spiked coffee (not Irish Coffee), where in most instances, a variety of toddies, post dinner sweet drinks or un-spiked coffee would be preferable.  However, last night, upon having a bit of writers block, feeling tense and very tired, I added a small amount of brown sugar and a half ounce shot of both baileys and creme de cacao seeing as I had just ran out of milk into my 6oz coffee mug. 

The result? A sweet, energizing beverage aided by some psycho-somatic effect aided in both loosening my writers block and giving me a nice boost of energy.  There is something comforting about attempting to stay awake and write, coffee in hand, very subtle undertones of alcohol and a relaxing creme de cacao finish on the coffee, which i generally abhor, but that late at night was more than welcomed.  So if you're tense and awake late at night needing to stay awake, maybe head for one of these.

I admit this wasn't really a cocktail of any sort, but it was interesting how this worked much better for my writing than just another coffee with milk and whilst this blog is about my adventure into craft cocktails I find the sentiment of having the appropriate drink (whether alcoholic or not) at the appropriate  time important enough to the impetus behind this blog that it deserves comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment