Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Mai Tai

So I really never warmed up to rum, just haven't been a fan of the dry rum cocktails which I've had (The El Presidente comes to mind).  However I was itching to give my organic orgeat syrup a spin, so a Mai Tai it was

Mai Tai
2 oz Rum -- (Appleton Estate V/X specified)
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz Simple Syrup
1/4 oz Orgeat

Shake, serve up

If you haven't guessed by the tone of my introduction I am in LOVE with this cocktail, it is definitely on the sweet side and it really highlights the Orgeat syrup.  Now if you don't know what Orgeat is it is essentially an almond emulsion, historically made with barely but in modern times it is made with orange or rose water and sugar.  Overall the cocktail is not at all sickeningly sweet, the lime certainly cuts the sugar and blends really well with the orgeat.  This has most certainly opened my eyes to sweeter rum cocktails and I'll have to branch out a bit.

At the moment this is one of my favorite drinks, up there with Whisky Sours, Old Fashioneds and Intro to Aperol.

No comments:

Post a Comment