Thursday, October 13, 2011

Corpse Reviver #2

And so it begins, my first drink with an Absinthe rinse!  I have never been a fan of anise flavors to be honest, but using absinthe as a bitter or rinse seems like a good enough idea.

The drink is a rather old one and requires proper preparation; it is credited to Henry Cradock of the Savoy bar and is first comes to print in the quintessential Savoy Cocktail Book (1930).

Corpse Reviver #2
3/4 oz Gin -- (Tanqueray)
3/4 oz Cointreau
3/4 oz Lillet
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
Absinthe Rinse

To prepare the glass first chill it (I do this by giving it a rinse, letting it air dry, then throwing it in the freezer -- takes 4 minutes).  While the glass is chilling combine the Gin, Cointreau, Lillet and lemon juice in a boston shaker and shake.  Take chilled glass, put a small amount of Absinthe in, and then spin the glass in the air so the Absinthe travels up the sides of the glass.  Ensure proper coverage and pour out excess absinthe (although some people prefer to leave it in...?).  Strain shaken mixture into rinsed glass, enjoy.

I was very underwhelmed by this cocktail.  Not being a huge anise fan the rinse really wasn't doing it for me, although i look forward to trying it in a Sazerac.  The mixed ingredients really just tasted like a mediocre gin cocktail to me, but try try again as I see some potential in the drink...I think in general anise rinses just aren't my thing though.

Some very interesting suggestions came in from the eGullet board.  EvergreenDan also of Kindred Cocktails commented that subbing Creole Shrub for the triple sec and Cocchi Americano for the Lillet you get a good drink.  Also suggested Orange Bitters, which, i thought about adding at the time, but when tasting my brand of orange bitters (Fee Brothers) didn't feel like it would fit, will give it a shot next time though. 

Lastly I notice on the KC site that this drink could be made with a green Chartreuse rinse...which I am looking forward to trying as I like Chartreuse better than I like Absinthe.

This classic is worth trying, especially for the Absinthe novelty, I guess, but not really going to come back to this one much unless I'm making drinks for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment