Thursday, September 22, 2011

Variations on Long Island Ice Tea

Last night I was still in the mood for lighter drinks and realized when flipping through Dale DeGroffs Essential Cocktail that it had bee a long time since I had a Long Island Ice Tea, remembering that they were light and ok I endeavored to correct this.

Long Island Ice Tea
1/4 oz Vodka -- (Smirnoff)
1/4 oz White Rum -- (Bacardi)
1/4 oz Tequila -- (El Jimador)
1/4 oz Gin -- (Tanqueray)
1/4 oz Triple Sec
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
3 oz Coke
+
3 Healthy Dashes Fee Brother's Orange Bitters

After placing ingredients in a mixing glass, adding ice and stirring thoroughly I found the drink fell flat, as I recalled it always does.  I don't know why, but this drink has always seemed drinkable, and good to me, but I often find myself desperately wanting to drink something different next (whereas I will drink Whisky Sours all night).  Its most likely because I have not balanced the ingredients quite correctly and the drink does taste somewhat confused, with no clear head body or tail.  However upon my first sip I became a bit antsy with my bottle of Fee Brothers Orange Bitters, added 3 healthy dashes and stirred some more.

The result; a much improved Long Island Ice Tea, the Orange bitters paired well and dulled the strong Tequila undertones which had perturbed me slightly, and brought out the citrusy nature of the lemon juice and triple sec, which had become lost in the fray.  The slight spice in these non-aromatic bitters played well with the Coke providing a fuller body (in a way similar to a dash of Angostura bitters in Gingerale).  This drink with Orange Bitters added was hardly comparable to the previous libation and I will never, if given the opportunity, make a Long Island Ice Tea again sans Orange Bitters (or perhaps some other non-aromatic bitter).

And now on to a drink tailored for a mid-summers day in the way a Long Island Ice Tea is not (I would imagine myself drinking a Long Island Ice Tea as the sun is setting, the chill taking the heat off of a summer's day, the coke and only subtle hints of alcohol allowing me to slip into my evening).  The California Ice Tea variant is more akin to a Collins or Rickey style drink, the removal of the Coke providing a much crisper, snappier and more refreshing drink (it almost feels colder)

California Ice Tea
1/4 oz Vodka -- (Smirnoff)
1/4 oz White Rum -- (Bacardi)
1/4 oz Tequila -- (El Jimador)
1/4 oz Gin -- (Tanqueray)
1/4 oz Grand Marnier
~2 oz Simple Syrup
1.5 oz Lemon Juice
1.5 oz Lime Juice
Seltzer Water

One could certainly add orange bitters to this, but it isn't needed and I prefer the drink without honestly.  The amounts of citrus and sugar can most certainly be adjusted to personal tastes, and I think this drink relies upon you knowing what your clientele want, although err on the side of sweetness, I have had this drink where too little syrup was used and it is amazingly sour, which is really not the feeling you want on a hot day.

Lastly I would really love feedback and for people to share recipes and engage in discussions about these drinks, so please leave comments if they cross your mind.

2 comments:

  1. Why is it californian? i don't understand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the name of the drink mostly (like an Americano) etc, this I would venture to guess, is called a California Ice Tea because of the Cointreau Grand Marnier substition (common in West Coast or "California" style drinks) and the replacement of Coke with fresh lemon, lime and seltzer. Plus it was prolly made in Cali, although it is a variant on the Long Island and honestly im not all that interested in it, but one could definitely research the origins of the name (that is more interesting when looking at historic classic cocktails and their offspring)

    ReplyDelete