Friday, January 6, 2012

The Latest Word

So I am back in Vancouver, which means access to my 60 or so bottles of accumulated booze and my newly aquired bitters.  I've been meaning to try "The Last Word" for a loooong time, but since it's winter the time never seemed right for a cocktail made from equal parts Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Green Chartreuse and Lime Juice.  However, after imbibing a bit too much whisky last night (seeing as I had a couple new bottles to test from NY), I wanted something light and refreshing that would also give me enough of a buzz to head to a dance bar (try going to a dance bar sober...its not very fun, at all).

The Latest Word uses Genever instead of Gin, and I chose it b/c I'm not quite in the mood for my juniper forward Tanqueray, although I suspect that would taste good as well.

The Latest Word
1/2 oz Genever - Boomsma
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur - Luxardo
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2oz Lime Juice
Shake, serve up in cocktail glass

This is quite the amazing drink.  My first whiff brought me back to my first memories of really good citrus sorbet (or gelato, I can't remember which) - which i now realize most likely had some gin or vodka in it.  It smells refreshing and almost begs for a lightly crushed sprig of mint to be used as a garnish whilst sipped outside by a pool when pretentiously judging others for whatever vodka based silliness they just ordered.

When tasting the first thing one notices is a blend of maraschino liquer and gin, deliciously strong, but by itself almost offputting.  The body, and essence in my opinion, of this drink is the moment when the heavy maraschino notes start to drift away and the funky herbal qualities of the chartreuse kick in.  I am a huge chartreuse fan, yes, but it really is the star of this drink.  The finish is a bold note of lime (which you realize has been there all along), which curbs the agressive herbal notes of the chartreuse and leaves me with a very complete feeling.  I do not really want/need to reach for the glass again, i just want to wonder at every single taste this drink conveys and stand in awe of its complexity (and sheer simplicity).  This truly is a fantastic creation.

I do note that my glass was not properly chilled and about half way through the drink i noticed that the complex balance was slightly upset by the effects of warmth.  All of a sudden the sugar imparted by the maraschino liqueur and chartreuse became more prevalent and detracted from the earthy flavors i reverenced.  Either drink quickly in small quantities or properly chill your glass like your supposed to in order to enjoy the true magnificence of this cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment